Dougarie Hydro Scheme is a 500kW scheme that was built on the river Allt Gobhlach, near Pirnmill, Arran. Designed by Campbell of Doune, we were contracted to complete all Civil Engineering aspects of the scheme, which included:
- Constructing the In-River Water Intake, complete with Header Tank.
- Installing 1ooo metres of 630mm diameter HDPE and 700 metres of 500mm ductile iron pipework, with 190m head.
- Construct the Powerhouse, complete with Tailrace and Headwall.
- Construct the reinforced concrete Pigging Chamber.
- Construct Pipebridge capable of allowing ATV access.
The scheme has been running extremely successfully for the client and it thought to continue to do so for many years. The water is passed through a Canyon Turbine, which generates the power for being sent back onto the National Grid.
Ardchattan was particularly challenging due to the site being off the mainland and having limited resources on the island. Most activities had to be planned in advance so that materials could be gathered at our Main Office, to be delivered on a single artic load to site.